Tuesday 24 February 2015

Five drinks that are good your your health

None of the photos on this blog post are my own, nor were they taken by me.

We all know that what we put in our bodies has a huge influence on our health and with so much temptation on every corner, making healthy choices is that much more difficult. That being said, there are simple drinks that we can incorporate into our daily lives to improve our health and reduce risk of certain diseases and illnesses. Sound good to you? Well then, keep reading to find out more..


Green Tea
This is no new information to you I'm sure and for good reason. The benefits of green tea are widely known, but if for you this is new information, then here's a quick recap. To begin with green tea reduces the risk of Osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease and cavities (source here). It also has many ingredients that improve digestion and relive minor aliments such as indigestion. Where's the downside you say? Well, the stuff takes some getting used to and so I use the term 'delicious' very lightly here. I tend to have one cup of green tea in the morning after I've taken my fit tea (more on that in another post) and get it over with.


Water
Again, no surprises here. But this wouldn't be a complete post without stating the obvious. And that is that water is bloody good for you! Firstly, two thirds of your body is made up of it. In drinking enough water, you maintain the body's fluid balance which in turn helps regulate temperature, digest food and the transport of nutrients. Drinking plenty of H2O also acts as muscle fuel which you loose through sweat when you exercise. Clearer skin is yet another benefit as it flushes out toxins that cause the skin to inflame, giving the appearance of spots. In drinking water you also help aid kidney function as you provide fluids in order to remove the toxins they take from the blood. Furthermore, they boost productivity, help with hangovers, act as fatigue buster and many more. I could write a whole page on the information i've found and honestly, trust me when I say it's worth it. You can read more from my source here.


Lemon Water
Okay okay I know this technically comes under drinking water, but by adding lemon and drinking it warm, there are even more benefits. Drinking lemon water gives a rich source of nutrients such as calcium, potassium, pectin fibre and vitamin C. It boost the immune system and as a result protects you from more infections and it is a brilliant antiseptic. The addition of lemon also maintains the pH levels within the body, aids digestion and encourages the production of bile. Furthermore, it prevents growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that can be the cause of infections and diseases (source here). So if you don't like the taste of water alone, try adding lemon for even more body boosting.


Coconut Water
Recently, I have become obsessed with coconut water. It's absolutely delicious and as with all the cocktails in this post, come with a host of body loving properties. With spring, comes the knowledge that many of us (myself included) have overindulged that little bit too much, and now we feel it. I've picked up where I left of with exercising (yeah right) and when I do, I follow up with coconut water. It contains naturally occurring electrolytes which replace those used during exercise. It contains very few calories and, if you like the taste of coconut, is delicious. If you are trying to shift the winter weight, coconut water is known to aid in weight loss efforts as it has an extremely low fat content. It can be consumed in large quantities without fear of packing on the pounds. Furthermore, it suppresses the appetite meaning those chocolate cravings will be a thing of the past. Other properties include a great hangover remedy, picture perfect skin and improved digestion. Read more here.


Peppermint Tea
And finally, peppermint tea, which does actually taste nice compared to green tea. Whilst it doesn't quite pack the punch like Green Tea does, it still host a wide variety of bonus' (source here). First of all, it has zero caffeine, which if you're an avid tea drinker like me, means you're not adding any more caffeine to your diet. Peppermint is widely known for it's many digestion aiding properties. It can reduce heartburn and relive symptoms of stomach ache, cramps and diarrhoea.  It also contains calcium and vitamin C which wards against illness. Yet another drink that has many benefits and little cons to speak of.

And so my lovely readers, that rounds up a rather educational post (for you and me both). looking into the benefits has seriously given me motivation to drink these more often. now I've completed the post, I will say that these aren't as delicious as Dr Pepper or the like, but when they come with this many advantages then there is little reason not to drink them. For me, that is all as I'm going to get myself a cup of green tea now. Begin with having just one of the above daily and you'll be feeling the effects in no time. That's all from me, stay happy and healthy folks!
Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...