Tuesday 4 November 2014

Book of the Month: I am Number Four


Good afternoon all, I'm finally getting around to doing something I've been itching to do for ages. If you don't already know this about me, I love books. From a young age, my mom would read books like the faraway tree to make my sisters and I fall asleep and since then, I've started a full blown love affair with books. I have a library local to me and since a young age, I would pop in there and leave with my arms absolutely full of heavy books. Because of this, I've churned through many books in my life and I love to discuss them and suggest them to people I think would enjoy them. So with this in mind, I decided that I would do a 'Book of the Month' post every month (obviously) and tell you a little about the book itself (spoilers alert) and what I think of it.

So to kick of my series, I thought I'd start with a book I've just finished reading and that is I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (how cool is his name?) The story begins detailing the night that number three is killed, and from there it explains that the world Lorien was attacked by a race called the Mogadorians. Just nine people from Lorien survived and escaped to earth where they remained hidden. A spell was cast on them before they left that they could only be killed in the correct order, meaning the Mogadorians would have to track them down one by one and in the correct order, to be able to kill them. Thus begins the story of number four, the main character, and his 'protector' Henry, and their story on how they avoid detection by moving from town to town. The story really kicks off when they move to Paradise and it's where you really get to know the main character, who is both sincere and likable .

I will say that at first, I was convinced that this book was aimed at teenage boys, but later on in the book there is a little romance with a character named Sarah which means there is something for the girls too. I wont discuss any more of the storyline from now on, as I don't want to give anything else away. As for the writing style, Pittacus Lore writes in a way that is straightforward in the sense that it gets straight to the point, no waffle, but still engages the reader and builds a good picture. Overall, I really liked his writing style and the way the story plays out.

This book is part of a series and after reading this first book, I will be seeking out the second one to read. You may have also heard that there is a film of this book, starring Alex Pettyfer (yum) and Glee's Dianna Agron. It's a pretty good version of the book, missing few details although I will always vouch for the book over any film. If you feel like giving it a read, you can pick it up from Amazon Here. Well that concludes my first ever book review, I hope it was a good review and you'll think of picking this up. Also apologies that I don't have a picture of the actual book, I read a library copy that I had to take back and couldn't find a good picture of the book online anywhere. Anyway, that's all from me, let me know what you think in the comments below! 
Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...